- Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
- Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner 2: Soul Hackers
- Sega Saturn 01/29/98
- Sony Playstation 04/08/99, 07/27/00 Playstation the Best, 01/23/03 PSOne Books
This game was initially set to be released in North America by ATLUS, however they were unable to win Sony's approval.
This game builds upon the loyalty concept of Devil Summoner, wherein you must keep your demon happy for it to properly obey you. It is far kinder in this installment of the series. Otherwise, the overall engine shares many similarities with Shin Megami Tensei including the moon phases, maps, and sword fusions.
In the near future, everyone has a home computer, each linked to a giant network. In the city of Amani, computer hacking has gained a cult following, much like the movie Hackers. The main characters discover a new virtual reality community called Paradigm-X, and quickly realize that there is more to it than meets the eye.
Soul Hackers introduces a couple of new concepts into the series, which unfortunately are never seen again: For the first time, the protagonist's computer is more than just a summoning device. The player can fuse demons at any time using the computer, as well as equip it with different modules to produce special effects. These effects include things such as creating an auto map in the corner of the screen in the corner of the screen, the ability to speak with Dark-aligned demons, increasing the chance of item drops and preventing the party's formation from being messed up in the event of a back attack.
A translation patch is currently being worked on by Gideon Zhi of Aeon Genesis. Current progress is estimated to be around 5%.
The members of your battle party.
- Hero (主人公) - The protagonist. A member of the Hacker group Spookies. Like most Megami Tensei mains, he can equip Guns and Swords, summon demons, use items and little else.
- Hitomi (ヒトミ) - Real name: Toano Hitomi (遠野瞳). A female hacker and best friend of the Hero. She's a nice, sweet, reserved girl who always tags along with the Hero. She's the daughter of one of Professor Gotsuma's students. 18 years old.
- Nemissa (ネミッサ) - A digital devil who possesses Hitomi. Unlike Hitomi, she's sarcastic, loud and not afraid to speak her mind. Her and Hitomi share the same body, but Nemissa is the one who fights in battle. The magic Nemissa learns is based on how you describe her personality early in the game.
- Zouma (造魔) - A demonic ally created by fusing the Dolly Cadmon with a demon. Unlike other demons, the Zouma always has maxed out loyalty, can be fused with other demons to become more powerful, and can change form. The Zouma will inherit spells and abilities from the demon he was fused with. The more Light demons he's been fused with, the more Angelic he'll appear and the more Dark demons he's fused with, the more Demonic he'll appear.
An elite group of Hackers.
- Spooky (スプーキー) - Real name: Sakurai Masahiro (桜井雅宏). The leader of the Spookies, a talented and experienced Hacker. Because of this, the other Spookies refer to him as "Leader." 25 years old.
- Lunch (ランチ) - Real name: Kitegawa Junnosuke (北川潤之介). A calm and collected member of Spookies. 19 years old.
- Six (シックス) - Real name: Sako Shingo (迫真悟). A gun freak (his handle "Six" is a reference to a six shooter) and member of Spookies. As a child, he accidentally killed his sister by knocking her down the stairs. He enjoys horror movies and is the one who gives the main character and Hitomi guns in the beginning of the game. 17 years old.
- Yu-ichi (ユーイチ) - Real name: Haga Yuuichi (芳賀佑一). A member of Spookies. 18 years old, despite appearances.
Characters from the previous Devil Summoner.
- Ray Reihou (レイ・レイホゥ) - The attractive partner of Kuzunoha Kyouji from Devil Summoner is back and is investigating the Phantom Society.
- Victor (ヴィクトル) - The owner of the Goumaden, he's the one to go to when you need to fuse demons.
- Maery (メアリ) - The hostess at the Goumaden.
- Madam Ginko (マダム銀子) - A drag queen that gives the Hero a Blank Sword that can be fused with demons.
- Sukeroku (スケロク) - A mysterious man who seems to always be at the right place, at the right time. In actuality, he's possessed by the spirit of Kuzunoha Kyouji.
Vision Quest Characters
Characters you play during Redman's Vision Quests.
- Urabe Kouisarou (卜部広一朗) - A former member of the Phantom Society. His wife and child were murdered when he tried to leave the society, he now bears a strong grudge against them. He is the original owner of the GUMP.
- Judah Shing (ユダ・シング) - A Dark Summoner within the Phantom Society. He uses a Saxaphone Computer to summon demons. Recently, he's become uncertain of his place within the Phantom Society and the Phantom Society's place within the world. You control him in Vision Quest 2.
- Naomi (ナオミ) - A freelance Summoner who's currently employed by the Phantom Society. Originally from Hong Kong, she seems to know Reihou Rei for some reason. She channels demons through individual spells, rather than summoning them to her side with a computer.
Dark Summoners who are members of the Phantom Society.
- Carol J (キャロルＪ) - The first Dark Summoner you get to battle. He uses a Guitar COMP to summon demons and guards the Algon Soft NS Building.
- Carol J's demons: Yuki Gaki, Shiki Pet Rock, Jaki Ippon-Datera
- Mayone (マヨーネ) - A Dark Summoner who uses an Umbrella COMP to summon demons. She assaults you at the end of Disc 1.
- Mayone's demons: Ryuuou Mizuchi, Majuu Kaso, Yuki Vetara, Kaii Murasakikagami
- Finnegan (フィネガン) - A high ranking Dark Summoner within the Phantom Society. As a former boxer, he uses brass knuckles as his COMP.
- Nishi (西) - The urban planner for the city of Amani, who is also a member of the Phantom Society.
- Kado Kura (門倉) - Head of Algon Soft and the mastermind behind Paradigm-X.
- Redman - A mysterious being who sends the Hero on Vision Quests in Paradigm-X.
- Two soundtracks were released; the Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers Original Soundtrack, and the Soul Hackers Hyper Rearrange soundtrack.
- Soul Hackers trading cards were also released, following the rules of the popular Shin Megami Tensei TCG.